Care home bid for former Newton Poppleford restaurant
- Credit: Archant
A former hotel and restaurant in Newton Poppleford could be converted into a 13-bed care home.
Brandon Care Ltd bought Hillside House over the summer and now has plans to open it as its third property, writes Stephen Sumner.
The firm has laid out a vision of developing the 16.5-acre site into a ‘vibrant place of interest’, with a gallery and workshops for local artists and a pony sanctuary.
A planning application submitted by the company says it intends to renovate the ‘worn out and generally dilapidated building’.
The Exeter Road property suffered bouts of vandalism and was occupied by squatters between the owners of Brandon Care Ltd viewing it and finalising the sale, according to plans. It hopes to create a ‘boutique style and intimate care home’ with 13 en-suite bedrooms, while sympathetically extending it to include a communal lounge dining room, a conservatory and spaces on the first floor to enjoy the panorama.
You may also want to watch:
Brandon Care Ltd wants to create a ‘unique’ care facility for the area that, it says, will be a first for the area.
If successful, Hillside House will run alongside the company’s other two homes in Exmouth.
- 1 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 6 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 7 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 8 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
East Devon District Council will decide the fate of the application.