CCTV call after Sidmouth fire
A SIDMOUTH businesswoman is highlighting the need for CCTV in the town after a blaze destroyed the entrance to her restaurant. The fire, which happened sometime between 10pm on Wednesday and 7am on Thursday, is believed to have started in a wheelie bin at
A SIDMOUTH businesswoman is highlighting the need for CCTV in the town after a blaze destroyed the entrance to her restaurant.
The fire, which happened sometime between 10pm on Wednesday and 7am on Thursday, is believed to have started in a wheelie bin at the front of Tudors in High Street.
Although the shop front is severely smoke damaged, it did not catch alight and the fire did not spread to the building.
The damage was discovered by a builder who was on his way to work at the new M&Co. site- the fire was already out.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking to the Herald on Thursday, Chris Lovett, owner of Tudors, said: "The rubbish has been put out for collection this morning and looks like it was set alight.
"It is a shock but business people just get on with it. The whole frontage will have to be replaced."
- 1 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 4 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 5 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
- 6 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 7 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 8 Flood project construction vehicles end up in deep water
- 9 Sidmouth Brass Academy set to play again
- 10 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
CCTV inside the building which was directed on the doorway will be given to police but officers say they can not yet confirm if the fire was arson.
Chris added: "I think it highlights the big issue Sidmouth has in the High Street- there is no CCTV in the town and this is a good example of why it is needed."
If there were cameras in the town, Chris believes it would deter people from committing anti-social behaviour.
The power in the restaurant was cut off by the fire and Tudors was closed yesterday but Chris is hoping to re-open on Friday.
She said: "There was no internal damage so hopefully it will be business as usual tomorrow."
A fire crew attended the scene yesterday to inspect the damage but did not receive any reports when the blaze was raging.
Police are appealing for anybody with information about the blaze to ring them on 08452 777444 quoting log number 137 01/10.