Charity cycle trek for Adrian
A Sidmouth orthodontist is gearing up for a gruelling cycle challenge which will see him ride from John O’Groats to Land’s End - in just nine days.
Adrian Snelgrove, 52, will be embarking on the 900-mile trek tomorrow (Saturday) to raise money for cancer support charity Macmillan.
The father-of-two will form part of a team of 27 riders from across the country taking on the challenge, and between them they hope to raise £30,000.
Adrian, a member of the Sid Valley Cycling Club, said he had prepared for the trek by riding around 150 miles each weekend.
“It’s been a big build-up and I just want to get started now,” he said. “I’m confident I’ll be able to finish, but the big test is going to be the third day – that’s when you’ll really start to feel the strain!”
You may also want to watch:
In order to reach the finish on time, the group will need to maintain an average speed of around 13mph and ride for eight hours each day.
Their route will see them pass over the Scottish Highlands, before running down western England and in to Cornwall.
- 1 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 4 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 5 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 9 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 10 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
The Glen Road resident said he was riding for Macmillan because of his father’s involvement with the charity in his home city of Liverpool.
“I suppose it’s become a bit of a family tradition to support them,” he added.
Donations to support Adrian can be made online at http://www.justgiving.com/eop and he will be tweeting his progress at @sidmouthade