Charity cycle trek for Adrian
A Sidmouth orthodontist is gearing up for a gruelling cycle challenge which will see him ride from John O’Groats to Land’s End - in just nine days.
Adrian Snelgrove, 52, will be embarking on the 900-mile trek tomorrow (Saturday) to raise money for cancer support charity Macmillan.
The father-of-two will form part of a team of 27 riders from across the country taking on the challenge, and between them they hope to raise £30,000.
Adrian, a member of the Sid Valley Cycling Club, said he had prepared for the trek by riding around 150 miles each weekend.
“It’s been a big build-up and I just want to get started now,” he said. “I’m confident I’ll be able to finish, but the big test is going to be the third day – that’s when you’ll really start to feel the strain!”
You may also want to watch:
In order to reach the finish on time, the group will need to maintain an average speed of around 13mph and ride for eight hours each day.
Their route will see them pass over the Scottish Highlands, before running down western England and in to Cornwall.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
The Glen Road resident said he was riding for Macmillan because of his father’s involvement with the charity in his home city of Liverpool.
“I suppose it’s become a bit of a family tradition to support them,” he added.
Donations to support Adrian can be made online at http://www.justgiving.com/eop and he will be tweeting his progress at @sidmouthade