Charity head shave ‘best thing I’ve ever done’
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth student is celebrating an end to split ends after shaving off her luscious locks – and netting more than £1,600 for charity in the process.
Hattie Hook lost her granddad Neville Stout to lung cancer seven years ago, so wanted to mark the occasion with positivity and make an impact.
She had aimed to raise £1,000 for Cancer Research, but by the end of the shave the ‘emotional’ audience exceeded all her expectations.
“It’s the best thing I’ve ever done – I didn’t even think I’d raise a grand,” said Hattie, who is studying performing arts at Chichester University. “I think my granddad would have been so proud.”
She only thought a few people would show up, but found herself surrounded people lining up to support her. “It was really emotional, a lot of people were really moved by it – they were throwing money in left, right and centre,” the Salcombe Regis resident added.
She has always had long hair but has come to like her new look, which is the envy of her friends who say they wouldn’t dare do it themselves. Hattie, who turned 20 yesterday, is a familiar face in Sidmouth.
As well as studying at Sidmouth College she has worked in every section of Mocha, which Neville bought from his brother-in-law when he decided to leave his role as a company director. It is now owned by Hattie’s uncles, along with Prospect Plaice.
- 1 Body of woman found near Sidmouth
- 2 Hospice at Home moves into new premises
- 3 Ottery St Mary - a shopping paradise
- 4 Retailers need to be on high alert against new scam
- 5 Photos: Sidmouth's latest cliff collapses caught on camera
- 6 Property of the Week: Heaven's Gate, Ottery St Mary
- 7 A flying visit to a bird reserve and a view on Sidmouth's charity shops - Toto's latest woofings...
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Great to see the sunshine as Folk Festival returned
- 10 Sidmouth seniors avoid whitewash, Legg leads way on Friday
Her mum, Lesley, said: “It was such a surprise when she said she was doing it but she looks amazing. It’s just incredible the amount of support she’s had.”
To back her, visit www.justgiving.com/h-hook.