Charlotte tackles Mount Kilimanjaro for charity
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth woman is tackling a mountainous challenge in Tanzania – by currently taking on the world-famous Mount Kilimanjaro in aid of a children’s charity.
Charlotte Hall, 21, of Sidford Road, flew to Kenya on Wednesday and upon arrival, travelled six hours to Moshi in Tanzania, writes Callum Lawton.
The Bath University student will spend almost a week climbing up the mountain - some 4,600 metres high - and back down with 40 fellow students in tow.
Charlotte has so far raised £3,082 for trip (£1,500 of which has gone towards her flights) and will be donating the excess money to charity The Children’s Society.
“I am nervous but excited,” said Charlotte before the trip. “I started collecting for the trip in Bath and Sidmouth by hosting a few cake sales and evenings with friends.”
You may also want to watch:
She also held a fun day at Sidmouth Primary School and held a dinner party for a Sidmouth book group.
“I have done some things for charity before,” Charlotte added. “But Kilimanjaro is the first thing this big.”
- 1 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 5 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 8 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 9 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
Charlotte and her group will take a well-deserved week-long break in Zanzibar after the climb, which will see them spend more than 40 hours trekking up and down the mountain.
The student is expected to fly home on Friday, June 27, and graduate in molecular and cellular biology on July 1.
To donate to Charlotte’s charity climb, visit her fundraising page - www.justgiving.com/Charlotte-Hall7.