Check your stools for granddad’s music - pleads man
Piano request from music lover over Thomas F Dunhill compositions
SIDMOUTH residents have been asked to have a rummage in their piano stools - by a music lover hoping to uncover his composer granddad’s old and forgotten works.
Paul Vincent believes the town is just the sort of place where a great deal of Thomas F Dunhill’s music is lying unused in stools and on bookshelves, writes Charlie Lister. Dunhill, who lived from 1877 to 1946, penned compositions which exceeded 100 works over six decades.
The composer’s reputation rests on his educational and exam pieces, used by the Associated Board for examinations for more than a century.
According to Paul’s calculations, around a million people alive today have played his grandfather’s music.
Paul has established the Thomas Dunhill Connection, a project to celebrate his grandfather’s life and work.
The project will culminate in a festival, ‘Maker of Music’, at Bondleigh, near Okehampton.
- 1 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 Property of the Week: The Square, Branscombe
- 4 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 6 Major firefighting operation tackles blazing barn in Whimple
- 7 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 8 Top six big books of the year to enjoy this winter
- 9 Tips on managing your utility bills this winter
- 10 Programme of concerts set to delight classical-music lovers
Guests will include the New London Chamber Ensemble, and eminent Professor of music Jeremy Dibble, University of Durham.
To this end, Paul is looking to contact anyone who has any old and unused sheet music bearing the name Thomas Dunhill, Thomas F Dunhill, or possibly Thos F Dunhill.
To contact Paul, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (01363) 775048.
For more information about the Thomas Dunhill Connection, visit www.thethomasdunhillconnection.co.uk.