Checks to target council tax reduction recipients
CHECKS are being carried out to ensure residents who receive a council tax reduction are still entitled to it.
They are being targeted at those who receive a 25 per cent discount on their bill due to single occupancy.
Sophisticated data-matching technology is being utilised by East Devon District Council.
Around 3,000 households will be checked in the coming months to see if the person is genuinely living alone.
This will involve cross-referencing with other sources of information about their household such as, but not limited to, the electoral-roll registers and financial sector information.
Councillor David Cox, portfolio holder for finance, said: “Council taxpayers who claim the discount improperly place an unnecessary burden on the very real needs of some residents.
Anyone whose circumstances have changed is urged to contact the council immediately on 01395 517446.
- 1 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 2 Ottery family lights up home in memory of mum
- 3 Dates for Santa's sleigh tour of Sidmouth, Sidford and Newton Poppleford
- 4 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 5 Plans for quarry at Ottery St Mary REFUSED
- 6 Sidmouth's band announces cancelled concerts
- 7 The show must go on as theatre group takes to the stage
- 8 Sidmouth late night shopping is back after the pandemic
- 9 Sidmouth Running Club welcomes return of the Bicton Blister
- 10 Van fire spread to hedgerow on busy route