Checks to target council tax reduction recipients
CHECKS are being carried out to ensure residents who receive a council tax reduction are still entitled to it.
They are being targeted at those who receive a 25 per cent discount on their bill due to single occupancy.
Sophisticated data-matching technology is being utilised by East Devon District Council.
Around 3,000 households will be checked in the coming months to see if the person is genuinely living alone.
This will involve cross-referencing with other sources of information about their household such as, but not limited to, the electoral-roll registers and financial sector information.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor David Cox, portfolio holder for finance, said: “Council taxpayers who claim the discount improperly place an unnecessary burden on the very real needs of some residents.
Anyone whose circumstances have changed is urged to contact the council immediately on 01395 517446.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 6 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 7 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 8 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 9 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival