Checks to target council tax reduction recipients
CHECKS are being carried out to ensure residents who receive a council tax reduction are still entitled to it.
They are being targeted at those who receive a 25 per cent discount on their bill due to single occupancy.
Sophisticated data-matching technology is being utilised by East Devon District Council.
Around 3,000 households will be checked in the coming months to see if the person is genuinely living alone.
This will involve cross-referencing with other sources of information about their household such as, but not limited to, the electoral-roll registers and financial sector information.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor David Cox, portfolio holder for finance, said: “Council taxpayers who claim the discount improperly place an unnecessary burden on the very real needs of some residents.
Anyone whose circumstances have changed is urged to contact the council immediately on 01395 517446.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 3 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 4 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 5 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 6 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 7 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 8 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 9 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout