Cheers! East Devon MP Hugo Swire reopens Sidmouth pub after £500,000 revamp
- Credit: Archant
Makeover for The Balfour Arms in Woolbrook Road creates a dozen new jobs
East Devon MP Hugo Swire joined the team at The Balfour Arms, Sidmouth, to toast to the pub’s £500,000 revamp and reopening.
A six-figure investment by national pub operator Punch, which has also created 12 new jobs, has transformed the Woolbrook Road pub, both inside and out.
The venue has been redecorated throughout - including new furniture, flooring, curtains and fixtures and fittings.
Externally, new signage and lighting has been installed to improve the pub’s appearance and the large beer garden updated to maximise its use during the summer months.
You may also want to watch:
The Balfour Arms reopened last Friday (May 6) and there was live music and entertainment as part of a celebratory weekend.
Publican Ron Miles said: “The Balfour Arms has always been a popular pub thanks to its great location at the heart of the Woolbrook Estate. It is a true community pub that’s family friendly with something for everyone.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
“We’ve introduced a great new menu with even more dishes to choose from and will be stepping up our entertainment programme to include more live music alongside regular quiz, poker and bingo nights and live sports on TV. We have a dedicated sports area for pool and darts and a separate family dining area. We had a great launch weekend with lots of positive comments and I’m looking forward to building on that success.”
Mr Swire said: “It’s fantastic to see this great local pub restored to its rightful place at the heart of the community and I was happy to raise a glass to its future success. I hope locals and visitors also enjoy the warm hospitality I received at The Balfour.”
Craig Taylor, openings manager for Punch, said: “Ron and his wife Angela have a huge amount of experience in the industry and I’m confident that they will establish the pub as the focal point of the local community.”