Children in Need cash for youngsters in Axminster and Ottery
- Credit: Archant
Mental health support group to get £70,000 over the next three years
Action East Devon has secured £70,000 of Children in Need funding for its young people’s mental health support services in Axminster and Ottery St Mary.
The money, being provided over the next three years, will enable the charity to help local youngsters through its “Headlight” project. The organisation runs peer support mental health groups for young people, giving them the opportunity to build new friendships in a caring and non-judgmental environment. They can also learn coping strategies and engage in fun activities to build self-esteem, confidence and resilience. Emma Curtis, Headlight manager, said: “Headlight enables young people who are experiencing emotional distress to access support in a fun and informal way. I’m proud of our passionate and dedicated staff and volunteers who are helping young people to focus on their strengths and to develop tools and skills to build their emotional resilience. I am thrilled that, because of this Children in Need funding, we are in a position to run sessions for the next three years in Ottery and Axminster.” The funding will go towards running the under-18 groups over the next three years.
One young person who goes to the sessions said: “Headlight is the only support that has actually worked for me. The volunteers are all amazing and it’s so wonderful being surrounded by people who understand me.”
Contact Headlight on 07741 646 426 or e mail email@example.com
You may also want to watch:
* The Ottery St Mary groups for under 18s and 18+ are provided by Action East Devon in partnership with Ottery Help Scheme and the Ottery Hospital League of friends who have also generously supported the venture.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 10 The more we work together the better it will be