Sidmouth Choral Society welcomes new musical director Kris Emmett
- Credit: Nick Thompson
New members welcome to join choir as they start rehearsing for Christmas concert
Sidmouth Choral Society reconvenes after the summer break on Wednesday 12 September with a new musical director, and now hopes to attract new members as well.
Kris Emmett also directs choirs in Yeovil, Chagford and Plymouth, and is assistant conductor of Plymouth University Orchestra.
He says he is eager to build on the excellent work of Dorothy Worthington, who retired from the Choral Society in April: “I expect the highest of standards, while recognising that the role of a musical director is to inspire and enthuse this, through positive and open rehearsal practice at all times. I firmly believe that anyone can play or sing well and I encourage anyone who thinks otherwise to give it a go!”
The Society has around 60 members who rehearse every Wednesday evening for two concerts, one in December and one in the spring; this autumn they will be preparing for the Christmas concert at Sidmouth Parish Church on Saturday December 15.
You may also want to watch:
The programme will include Vivaldi Gloria, new and familiar carols and some seasonal instrumental music.
The Society is keen to welcome new singers with or without previous choral experience or the ability to read music. New singers are invited to three or four rehearsals before deciding whether or not to join.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 7 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 8 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 9 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 10 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity