Church has to turn away donations after crook breaks charity box
- Credit: Archant
Police are appealing for witnesses after a collection box at Sidmouth Parish Church was broken into.
The incident took place between 12.15pm and 4pm on Sunday afternoon.
Churchwarden Brian Golding said that a minimal amount was taken.
A note by the collection box said: “The police are investigating this break-in, which occurred on January 3.
“In the short-term, it will not be possible to make donations to the church.”
You may also want to watch:
PCSO Chris Bolsover said: “Someone broke into one of the collection boxes in Sidmouth Parish Church, using some form of implement to forcibly open the box and take money from inside. The box was located close to the main entrance.”
The officer asked for witnesses to come forward if they saw anyone acting suspiciously in the church.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 7 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
Anyone with information should call 101 and quote reference CR/000588/16.