Cinerama to return to Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
A LONG-LOST cinema viewing experience - revived in Sidmouth - is set to return to the town on a regular basis.
Mike Edgecumbe has received confirmation from America that he can publicly screen all the Cinerama films in the digital Smilebox system he uses.
Cinerama is the earliest form of widescreen and sees flicks projected onto a screen as big as a double decker bus.
Mike has been busy undertaking enhancement work on his Omniscope curved screen and seven-track stereophonic sound system after the successful screening of This is Cinerama in the Methodist Hall last month.
The event, attended by around 100 people, raised more than £600 for Unicef.
You may also want to watch:
Mike said the good news means that there will be further shows in the Methodist Hall of This is Cinerama and also Windjammer - a 1958 tall ship world cruise travelogue featuring the men and cadets of the Norwegian training ship Christian Radich.
The epic western How The West Was Won will also be screened.
- 1 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 4 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 5 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
No dates have been confirmed.
Retired cinematographer Mike’s projection system enables digitised versions of numerous film formats including giant Imax 3D. Imax will not allow him to screen their films publicly, however, other producers have agreed to let him use their films under licence and he hopes to do this in the future.
Mike emphasised that his film shows are in no way intended to be in competition with the Radway Cinema – they are cinematograph experiences which he will use for charity fundraising and educational purposes.