Clampdown after vandals cause £500 damage to Sidmouth gardens
- Credit: Archant
CCTV is set to be installed after ‘mindless’ vandals inflicted an estimated £500 of damage on Sidmouth’s Connaught Gardens.
A spokeswoman for East Devon District Council (EDDC), which owns the site, said intruders broke into the glasshouse and smashed windows on the weekend of December 2 and 3.
She said police dispersed a crowd of youths on December 9 and 10 and last weekend (December 16 and 17), a number of windows were smashed in the shelter on the seaside behind the sunken garden.
EDDC workers are also regularly clearing rubbish and broken bottles in the garden shelters.
The spokeswoman said: “Sadly, Sidmouth’s Connaught Gardens has been targeted by vandals over the last few weeks causing, in total, an estimated £500 in damage.
You may also want to watch:
“We are working with Sidmouth police to find out who is carrying out this mindless vandalism and officers are carrying out more visits to the gardens.
“This week, we intend to fit new CCTV cameras in discreet locations so that we can monitor the area.”
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club