Cod almighty that’s a big fish!
- Credit: Archant
But Sidmouth fisherman James lets record catch off the hook
Hours of patience helped a Sidmouth man reel in a cod measuring more than a metre in length - and break a club record.
James Trevett said the look on his brother Barry’s face was priceless as he made the 21lbs 13ozs catch at Hinkley Point near Bristol.
The 35-year-old is a member of Honiton Sea Angling Club and said that the duo had been waiting for more than two hours for a fish to bite. The club’s previous record was a cod weighing 16lbs. James said: “I knew it was a big fish straight away. My rod was bent in half. I have never seen it bend like that before. I turned to Barry and his facial expression was priceless. The day was right, the water was right and if it had been 20 yards to the right it could have been a different story. It’s a fish of a lifetime.”
The brothers like to catch and quickly measure fish before releasing them back in the water.
You may also want to watch:
It is not James’s largest catch. He has landed a conger eel measuring seven-and-a-half feet long and weighing 70lbs.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 5 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research