Generous café donates hundreds of pounds to Weston Hospicecare
- Credit: Archant
A community café in Shipham has lived up to its slogan of being ‘a little café with a big heart’ by donating a month’s takings to Weston Hospicecare.
Lenny's Café, in The Square, is a community-run enterprise, meaning it is staffed by volunteers.
It provides a meeting place for villagers but also ensures any surplus food is shared among poorly or vulnerable neighbours.
Weston Hospicecare was 'enormously grateful' to be selected to receive £400 which was raised in August.
Janet Leek, one of the café's facilitators alongside Margaret Howell, said: "Lenny's likes to go the extra mile.
You may also want to watch:
"We are called the tiny café with the big heart because we like to be generous.
"It's somewhere really very friendly and we enjoy meeting different people. I think our volunteers get as much from being here as those being served."
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 9 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
Weston Hospicecare's Simon Angear visited Lenny's to meet the team and accept the donation.
He said: "We're enormously grateful to everyone at Lenny's for choosing to support Weston Hospicecare this month. It's a marvellous donation, and one which will be put to good use supporting our work caring for people with life-limiting illnesses.
"I'd not previously been to Lenny's, but it's a wonderful hidden gem staffed by very friendly people, and I'd recommend dropping by for cake if you're in the area."
Lenny's is open from Monday to Thursday each week and on Saturday mornings.