Generous café donates hundreds of pounds to Weston Hospicecare
- Credit: Archant
A community café in Shipham has lived up to its slogan of being ‘a little café with a big heart’ by donating a month’s takings to Weston Hospicecare.
Lenny's Café, in The Square, is a community-run enterprise, meaning it is staffed by volunteers.
It provides a meeting place for villagers but also ensures any surplus food is shared among poorly or vulnerable neighbours.
Weston Hospicecare was 'enormously grateful' to be selected to receive £400 which was raised in August.
Janet Leek, one of the café's facilitators alongside Margaret Howell, said: "Lenny's likes to go the extra mile.
You may also want to watch:
"We are called the tiny café with the big heart because we like to be generous.
"It's somewhere really very friendly and we enjoy meeting different people. I think our volunteers get as much from being here as those being served."
- 1 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 2 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 3 'I feel that front line workers should be vaccinated as soon as possible'
- 4 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 5 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 6 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 7 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 8 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
- 9 Tar Barrel Night paintings will help keep the event rolling
- 10 'We are passionate about involving young people in planning'
Weston Hospicecare's Simon Angear visited Lenny's to meet the team and accept the donation.
He said: "We're enormously grateful to everyone at Lenny's for choosing to support Weston Hospicecare this month. It's a marvellous donation, and one which will be put to good use supporting our work caring for people with life-limiting illnesses.
"I'd not previously been to Lenny's, but it's a wonderful hidden gem staffed by very friendly people, and I'd recommend dropping by for cake if you're in the area."
Lenny's is open from Monday to Thursday each week and on Saturday mornings.