Community radio station looks to expand coverage into Sid Valley
- Credit: Archant
A volunteer-run community radio station could expand its reach into the Sid Valley if it gets the go-ahead for a new mast.
Bay FM’s Andy Green (pictured) has written to town councillors, in their capacity as trustees, for permission to install the mast at Salcombe Regis Recreation Field.
The station currently covers Exmouth and Budleigh Salterton, but Government regulator Ofcom is considering requests from similar broadcasters to expand into adjoining areas.
Station manager Mr Green is proposing a 19.5-metre mast with a six-metre pole to house two small aerials - one to receive and one to rebroadcast - that would be positioned in the opposite corner of the field to the scout centre.
The site is in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, as is the location of the station’s existing mast, in Withycombe Raleigh.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Green said the equipment would use less electricity than a 60-watt lightbulb and have a low visual impact, adding: “The benefit for the whole community, whether it be organisations or local businesses, is immense and would outweigh any negatives.”
Bay FM pays £1,200 in rent for its current mast and Mr Green said it would be willing to pay a similar amount to Sidmouth Town Council.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 8 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 9 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 10 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary
Members will consider the request when they meet at 6.30pm today (Monday).
The mast would require planning permission.