Con Club was gateway to love for grateful couple
- Credit: Archant
LONG-STANDING Sidmouth Conservative Club members, whose wedding day happiness hinged on the venue’s hospitality, have said an unusual thank-you – by buying it a new gate.
Pensioners Dave and Shirley Holman found love again after losing their previous partners to cancer and tied the knot last year.
They had a ball when their reception was staged at the hub in Radway Place – with its committee members decorating the room and catering team serving up culinary delights.
The lounge hire fee was donated as a wedding gift and Dave and Shirley, of Yarde Hill Orchard, felt the day was such a success they wanted to express their gratitude.
“The club has been good to us over the years,” said Dave, 85.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been members for so long we feel like part of the family,” added Shirley, 77.
The couple asked club bosses what needed replacing - and they came up with two options.
- 1 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 2 Flood project construction vehicles end up in deep water
- 3 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 4 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 5 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 6 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 7 Yellow weather warning for Devon
- 8 Let's have a jab at the protection racket as Covid debate continues
- 9 Sidmouth undone by powerful St Austell performance
Replacing all the curtains was beyond their budget, but the pair jumped at the chance to replace a broken gate in All Saints Road.
The club held an official ‘gate opening’ ceremony last Saturday, July 6, when Dave and Shirley cut a blue ribbon.
Club chairman, Derek Truesdale, accepted the new gate on behalf of the members and showed Dave and Shirley a brass plaque commemorating their donation.
The couple ditched traditional wedding day gifts and asked for donations to boost Cancer Research UK.
They raised £900.