Concerns remain over Ottery Convent development plans
ALTERED plans to turn Ottery s Marist Convent grounds into a �2.5million residential development have failed to win over town officials.
ALTERED plans to turn Ottery's Marist Convent grounds into a �2.5million residential development have failed to win over town officials.
Concerned residents packed into town council headquarters last Monday to hear planning committee members' verdict on developer Sea Valley Property Ltd's amended proposal bid to build four townhouses, eight apartments, a shop and office on the acre of land.
Committee members felt the new plans, which include the removal of four garages but addition of two parking spaces, as well as a reduction in height to part of proposed flats, don't "go far enough" in addressing previous concerns over aspects such as design and access.
"They have not addressed the issues we've raised" was the message from fearful Franklea Close residents, who spoke of how they feel the development will "totally dominate and overshadow an already cramped and steeply sloping site."
You may also want to watch:
One resident, worried over the stability of the land, said: "The southern most part has a 25ft face which is 6ft from the corner of my outbuildings. The land is unstable and falling in my house as it is. I don't need a JCB dropping 20ft and going through my kitchen window- the bank needs stabilising."
East Devon District Council will consider the town council's view when it makes a final decision over the bid.
- 1 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 2 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 7 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 10 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights