Council opposes West Hill bungalow application
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Proposals to build a detached two-bedroom bungalow and a detached garage in West Hill have been unanimously opposed by Ottery Town Council.
Members of the planning committee met last week to discuss plans submitted by H & H Prestige Homes Ltd to construct the property at Birchanger, in Higher Broad Oak Road.
The application also seeks to revise vehicular access by splitting the driveway into two to serve each property.
In addition, the plans would provide an additional double garage for each property, providing parking for two cars.
Councillor Christopher Hall, who represents West Hill, said: “This has had more complaints than we normally get from local residents and we need to take that into account.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s no need for any more houses in West Hill. Fifty per cent of reasons for refusing the development at Harley Thorne were cited as the unsustainable distance from village facilities.
“I think we should not support it.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 7 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 8 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 9 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
- 10 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
Fellow West Hill representative Cllr Jo Talbot added: “It is really going to be the thin end of the wedge and once that goes, there will be no reason why the other houses can’t do the same and it will totally be against the West Hill village design statement, where build form is supposed to be less towards the very edges of the village and that is the very edge of the village.
“I think it is a totally unsuitable, unsustainable proposal.”
The future of the application will be decided by East Devon Distict Council.