Council quashes shop rumour
- Credit: Archant
A concerned resident has asked if there was any truth in rumours that plans have been submitted for an ‘eyesore’ Sidmouth shop in the town centre.
Peter Whitfield wanted clarity on former stationery store SES, in High Street, but civic leaders said the conjecture was ‘just talk’.
They said they were not aware of any new plans, but that the owner cannot be made to do any more to improve than he is.
Speaking at the annual town assembly on Monday, council chairman John Hollick said: “It’s sad because it’s an eyesore – we have watched it deteriorate year after year.
“It’s something Sidmouth Town Council has worked desperately hard to force the owner to take action over, but he is the owner of the property.”
You may also want to watch:
Town clerk Christopher Holland added: “The owner only has to make it safe, that’s all he is legally required to do.
“There was talk of a new owner but it seems that was just talk.”
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 6 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 7 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 10 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project