Council quashes shop rumour
- Credit: Archant
A concerned resident has asked if there was any truth in rumours that plans have been submitted for an ‘eyesore’ Sidmouth shop in the town centre.
Peter Whitfield wanted clarity on former stationery store SES, in High Street, but civic leaders said the conjecture was ‘just talk’.
They said they were not aware of any new plans, but that the owner cannot be made to do any more to improve than he is.
Speaking at the annual town assembly on Monday, council chairman John Hollick said: “It’s sad because it’s an eyesore – we have watched it deteriorate year after year.
“It’s something Sidmouth Town Council has worked desperately hard to force the owner to take action over, but he is the owner of the property.”
You may also want to watch:
Town clerk Christopher Holland added: “The owner only has to make it safe, that’s all he is legally required to do.
“There was talk of a new owner but it seems that was just talk.”
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 8 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon