Councillor requests bikes to decorate Sidmouth for Tour
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Sidmouth will have all the bells and whistles if a call for bicycles to decorate the town during the Tour of Britain is answered.
Town council event coordinator Stuart Hughes is appealing for any unwanted bicycles to be upcycled and help make the event as memorable as possible.
Sidmouth is hosting the start of the sixth stage of the race, and to celebrate there will be a week of events, including a procession of cycles, races around the town, and a concert with 1970s chart-toppers Mungo Jerry.
“We want this year’s Devon stage to be the most memorable in the event’s 10 year history and it’s wonderful to see many of the town’s organisations pulling together and in partnership to make this happen,” said Councillor Hughes
“We are looking for about 50 old bikes that will be recycled and put Sidmouth well and truly on the cycling map.”
You may also want to watch:
He hopes some of the bikes can be sourced within the Sid Valley, and is asking anyone with one spare to contact the town council on 01395 514424. Local collections can be arranged.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 6 Alderman honour for councillor devoted to serving community
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 'More visible' speed limit signs to be installed on A375 Sidbury Hill
- 9 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 10 After shopping in town why not give your feet a treat