Country Mile challenge at Devon County Show
VISITORS to the Devon County Show (May 21-23) will be invited to take the Country Mile challenge.
VISITORS to the Devon County Show (21-23 May) will be invited to take the Country Mile challenge.
A giant Scalextric track may be an unusual way to promote road safety but it is part of the display at the Devon Drivers' Centre by the Devon Country Mile project, which is working to improve safety on rural roads.
The track will reflect the A361 to get drivers to think about travelling at a safe speed, with the offer of a �50 car hamper (which includes a first aid kit, warning triangle and other goodies) up for grabs for the winner of the challenge.
There will also be a chance to get a preview glimpse of a customised VW Transporter truck which has undergone a "Pimp My Ride" transformation to be converted from an ordinary white van into an educational vehicle. The truck is aimed at younger drivers and has been kitted out with a widescreen TV for road safety presentations, a Nintendo Wii games console and sound system.
You may also want to watch:
The team will also be promoting business driver training, motorcycle safety, young drivers' safety and general road safety tips.
The Devon Country Mile is a partnership exploring rural road safety, specifically in the area between Exeter and Barnstaple, bordered by the A361, the A377 and the A396. The partnership is made up of Devon County Council, Devon and Cornwall Police, Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, the Devon and Cornwall Safety Camera Partnership, Devon Primary Care Trust and South Western Ambulance Service NHS Trust.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
The project is supported by the Department for Transport and Devon County Council is one of just four Beacon authorities across Britain to have received a �1.5million Department for Transport grant to explore rural road safety.