County Council polls open for Sidmouth and Ottery seats
- Credit: Getty Images
The polls are open today for the county council elections with 10 wards in East Devon including Sidmouth and Ottery up for grabs.
Stuart Hughes, the cabinet member for highways at County hall, faces opposition from three other candidates in the Sidmouth Sidford seat.
Standing are Labour’s Judy Blackwell, Lawrie Brownlee, representing UKIP, and Liberal Democrat Martin Gammell, who already sits on the district council, representing Whimple.
In Ottery St Mary Rural veteran independent Roger Giles has stood down after 20 years at Devon County Council (DCC).
Vying for his seat today, which also covers the villages outside the town along with Sidbury, are Andrew Blackwell, standing for Labour, John Kelly for UKIP, Sidmouth town and district councillor Chris Wale for the Conservatives, and Claire Wright, who is also an independent Ottery town and district councillor.
You may also want to watch:
The Conservatives are currently by far the largest party at DCC, with 41 seats and a majority of 20, well ahead of the Liberal Democrats, with 13 councillors, Labour with six, and there are currently two Independents.
For all the latest election results and reaction from the vote counting at Knowle log on to www.sidmouthherald.co.uk tomorrow morning.
- 1 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 2 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 3 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 4 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
- 5 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 6 Read all about it! Toto pays a visit to the bookshop
- 7 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 8 Champions of art and culture help connect communities
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth