County Council polls open for Sidmouth and Ottery seats
- Credit: Getty Images
The polls are open today for the county council elections with 10 wards in East Devon including Sidmouth and Ottery up for grabs.
Stuart Hughes, the cabinet member for highways at County hall, faces opposition from three other candidates in the Sidmouth Sidford seat.
Standing are Labour’s Judy Blackwell, Lawrie Brownlee, representing UKIP, and Liberal Democrat Martin Gammell, who already sits on the district council, representing Whimple.
In Ottery St Mary Rural veteran independent Roger Giles has stood down after 20 years at Devon County Council (DCC).
Vying for his seat today, which also covers the villages outside the town along with Sidbury, are Andrew Blackwell, standing for Labour, John Kelly for UKIP, Sidmouth town and district councillor Chris Wale for the Conservatives, and Claire Wright, who is also an independent Ottery town and district councillor.
You may also want to watch:
The Conservatives are currently by far the largest party at DCC, with 41 seats and a majority of 20, well ahead of the Liberal Democrats, with 13 councillors, Labour with six, and there are currently two Independents.
For all the latest election results and reaction from the vote counting at Knowle log on to www.sidmouthherald.co.uk tomorrow morning.
- 1 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 2 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 3 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 4 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 5 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 6 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 7 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 8 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 9 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight