Couple bring festive cheer to Sidmouth for a decade
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth couple, who have spent a decade bringing Christmas Day cheer to the town, say they will keep their festive tradition going for years to come.
Francine Hayes-DeWymmer dresses up every year as Santa - with hubby Philip as her little helper - to hand out sweets to children and adults on The Esplanade - and even has dog biscuits for passing pets.
Retired nurse Francine, a grandmother-of-one, said: “It brings me joy and makes my Christmas.”
The 67-year-old dresses up no matter the weather and even carried out her festive duties on crutches following a foot operation.
The couple’s work has been praised by former resident Panos Taliadoros, a former resident who now lives in Greece.
You may also want to watch:
Panos said: “She’s just got a heart of gold.
“She asks for nothing in return, no charity or any other agenda other than to wish people a Happy Christmas.”
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 4 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 5 Dragon Patchers will continue to keep Devon's potholes filled
- 6 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 7 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 8 Ottery St Mary sadly lose a club legend
- 9 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 10 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett