Couple bring festive cheer to Sidmouth for a decade
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth couple, who have spent a decade bringing Christmas Day cheer to the town, say they will keep their festive tradition going for years to come.
Francine Hayes-DeWymmer dresses up every year as Santa - with hubby Philip as her little helper - to hand out sweets to children and adults on The Esplanade - and even has dog biscuits for passing pets.
Retired nurse Francine, a grandmother-of-one, said: “It brings me joy and makes my Christmas.”
The 67-year-old dresses up no matter the weather and even carried out her festive duties on crutches following a foot operation.
The couple’s work has been praised by former resident Panos Taliadoros, a former resident who now lives in Greece.
You may also want to watch:
Panos said: “She’s just got a heart of gold.
“She asks for nothing in return, no charity or any other agenda other than to wish people a Happy Christmas.”
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98