Courageous doctor from floating hospital visits Sidmouth for charity talk
- Credit: Archant
A courageous doctor who runs a floating hospital in Brazil will be visiting Sidmouth to talk about her work.
Dr Lopez Gonzalez will be visiting Twyford House, in Coburg Road, for an illustrated talk on Thursday at 7pm.
Dr Gonzalez is part of a group of medical volunteers who live in the Amazon Region of Brazil, on the River Purus.
She gets no government support and relies completely on donations.
Dr Gonzalez said: “We are dedicated to looking after the people of the area and preventing and curing tropical diseases, which are endemic. In our hospital boat we visit every community. My own speciality lies in the treatment Hansen’s Disease - also known as leprosy.”
You may also want to watch:
There will be refreshments and donations are welcome.
All are welcome and are encouraged to attend the event to learn more about the floating hospital’s work.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 7 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Mighty Greens conquer Plym Trail marathon