Crafts to mark Thinking Day
SPAGHETTI towers and tambourines were among the things made on Sunday by local Girlguiding members celebrating the movements annual Thinking Day. Around 60 local Brownies, Guides, Leaders and Trefoil Guild members met at St Francis Church Hall in Sidmout
SPAGHETTI towers and tambourines were among the things made on Sunday by local Girlguiding members celebrating the movements' annual Thinking Day.
Around 60 local Brownies, Guides, Leaders and Trefoil Guild members met at St Francis Church Hall in Sidmouth to celebrate the birthdays of the founders of Scouts and Guides, Lord Robert Baden-Powell and his wife Olave.
Girls from the Sidmouth, Sidford and Newton Poppleford Brownies joined in with the fun as well as the newly reformed Sidmouth Guide pack.
The youngsters collected shiny pennies to display on a giant trefoil and at the end of the event they were sent to the Worldwide Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts to help Guides and Brownies in poorer countries.
You may also want to watch:
The girls also made African-themed bookmarks and played a game from Australia.
Reverend Dave Brown, All Saints Vicar, opened the celebration and entertained the girls by playing his guitar and singing.
- 1 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 4 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
Nikki Chapman, Sidford brownie leader, said: "It's brilliant to see so many smiling faces from the girls throughout the day, it really helps reinforce why so many of us volunteer our time to ensure Girlguiding remains strong in Sidmouth.
"We're really grateful to the Trefoil Guild members who always help us out with refreshments and also to Reverend Dave Brown."
Sidmouth Guide district needs extra support and is keen to hear from anyone interested in volunteering to help with a Brownie or Guide pack.
This September will see the start of the centenary anniversary celebrations of the Girl Guide Association and Sidmouth district will be organising a museum display. If any one has any old pictures or memorabilia of Guiding in Sidmouth, or has any stories they would like to share about their involvement in the past, contact district commissioner, Chris Chapman on (01395) 513278, or email email@example.com.