Sisters offer something for all the family at new Sidmouth shop Crane and Kind
- Credit: Archant
A family lifestyle shop is preparing to bring colour and quality children’s clothing to Sidmouth when it opens this weekend.
Sisters Polly McLachlan and Jemma Lascelles will open Crane and Kind in the former Sweet Temptations shop tomorrow (Saturday), which closed in June after 31 years in the town.
It has been a family affair for the pair, as their mum Judy will be joining them in the shop, and dad Michael has been hard at work making shop fittings late at night.
The family-run business says the shop will not be a typical retail store, offering somewhere for Polly to work on her graphic designs, clothing spanning from newborns to adults and a social space.
Mum-of-two Jemma shared her hopes mums will come in to meet for chats and they could hold evening events to raise money for charity.
You may also want to watch:
Jemma, who is director of tax at Michelmores and mum to William, two, and Cecilia, three months, said: “We are very positive about the high street. We want to open a shop in Sidmouth and we love the range of shops. Its well-known high street has really fantastic independent shops we want to work together to create a vibrant high street.
“Sweet Temptation was open for 31 years, and we are also a family business -- if we are there for 31 years, we would be absolutely proud.”
- 1 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 4 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 5 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 9 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 10 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
The sisters, whose maiden name is Crane, started up online in 2015 when Jemma was pregnant and struggled to find reasonably priced contemporary baby clothes.
Polly, mum to nine-month-old Sidney, will be based in the shop designing graphics for clients such as Vogue and Conde Naste - and for the store’s own clothing range.
She said: “An opportunity came up to purchase Sweet Temptation, it’s such a beautiful shop and in an amazing location. If we didn’t do it now, we never will. Jemma’s very business-minded and then I have the more artistic creative brain. We wanted to do something together.
“We’re really proud to be from Sidmouth and want to continue encouraging people to visit.”
The family-friendly shop will have something for everyone, from a reading nook to a ‘dad chair’ for anyone wishing to rest their feet while browsing.
Visit www.craneandkind.com for more information.