Cricket star Dom named in England cricket Lions squad
- Credit: Archant
The Sidford teenager and former Sidmouth Cricket Club member is one of three Somerset players in the 13 man squad.
A teenage cricketer from Sidford has been named in the England Lions squad.
Dom Bess is among the 13-man squad set to face South Africa A later this month.
The bowler was selected alongside Somerset County Cricket Club team mates Jack Leach and Jamie Overton for the four day fixture in Canterbury.
The former Sidmouth Cricket Club player made his debut for the county side last year taking six wickets in his first match.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Maynard, Somerset’s director of cricket, said: “I’m delighted for the three boys. They are outstanding cricketers who have all the attributes needed to go on and play for their country. I’m sure they will show the selectors exactly what they can do during this match against South Africa A and there is no doubt that they have bright futures ahead of them.”
The match will take place at the Spitfire Ground, St Lawrence from June 21 to 24.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
James Whitaker, the National Selector, said: “It’s good to see a number of players in this squad who have come through the England Under-19s environment, and started to make an impact in county cricket. The Lions is another step up for them, and there is a balance with some more experienced players which we believe creates an exciting squad.”