Crumbling cliffs: Consultant to be appointed
- Credit: Archant
A CONSULTANT is on the verge of being signed up to produce a blueprint that will determine how best to manage Sidmouth beach – and tackle crumbling Pennington Point – over the next decade.
It is estimated the document will take a year to put together, but the scheme is still thousands of pounds short of the funding needed.
The Sidmouth Beaches Working Group, convened by East Devon District Council (EDDC), met on Monday and agreed to appoint a consultant to handle the Beach Management Plan (BMP).
The technical group, made up of representatives from EDDC, the Environment Agency (EA), Devon County Council, Natural England and a resident, has produced a brief for the plan - which has been used to invite tenders from consultants.
“Funding for this BMP work – which is expected to cost £80,000 in total still needs to be found, with £27,000 so far committed by EDDC and a similar figure from the EA,” said an EDDC spokesman.
You may also want to watch:
“Other sources of funding are being investigated.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 7 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 8 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 9 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 10 Local photographer captures the beauty of The Byes with his wildlife shots