Crunch talks over Sidmouth bloom bid
Time is ticking for town’s bid for national floral glory
CRUNCH talks on whether Sidmouth will be able to contend for national floral glory will take place at a special public meeting on Tuesday (January 10).
Residents have been urged to attend the event, at the Arts Centre in Station Road, which has been organised in an attempt to form a committee to ensure the town takes its place at the Britain in Bloom awards.
Sidmouth has little more than a week to respond to an invite to the prestigious finals.
Tuesday’s meeting will take place from 7pm and will be led by town council chairman Stuart Hughes.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Hughes issued a rallying call for volunteers to “rise to the challenge”.
He said: “It’s an absolute honour for our town to be chosen as a UK National finalist for next year’s Britain in Bloom.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 5 The more we work together the better it will be
- 6 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary
- 10 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
“We want the town looking great for Jubilee year anyway, so it would be some achievement if we can combine that with a good show in the national competition.
“Hopefully we’ll receive plenty of interest at the meeting from prospective committee members who can help us do everything possible to ensure that Sidmouth looks its best in next year’s UK finals.”
The entire Sidmouth in Bloom committee resigned en-bloc in November after years of hard work and accolade success. Just a week later, the town learned it had been selected by the Royal Horticultural Society to represent South West coastal towns in the Britain in Bloom finals.
Sidmouth has until next Monday, January 16, to respond to the invitation.