Curious Devon: a look around Mazzard Farm
- Credit: Picture: Alex Walton
This week we take a look around the idyllic country holiday cottages at Mazzard Farm near Ottery St Mary.
Tucked away in the middle of East Hill, little more than a mile outside of Ottery St Mary, are the beautiful grounds of Mazzard Farm, an award winning countryside getaway for holidaymakers looking to taste a delicious slice of sumptuous East Devon.
The cluster of six holiday cottages, owned by Ruud Jansen Venneboer and Jacqueline Parker, are surrounded by many acres of wonderful woodland for guests to explore.
There is a large orchard to enjoy and people can pick their own apples when the trees are in fruit.
During harvest time, the local school, brownies and guides are often invited to the farm for apple juicing sessions.
You may also want to watch:
Mazzard Farm has much to offer and appeals to visitors of all ages.
A couple can enjoy the experience of a walk in the woods, seeing the horses in the field and a cosy fire to curl up in front of at the end of the day.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
Likewise, families with young children will find plenty of activities to keep them busy with a fantastic play area to enjoy and a paddling pool in the warmer months.
Ruud and Jacqueline count themselves very lucky to be living and working in this beautiful part of Devon and are very keen to give back to the community.
They help to organise the Ottery Food Festival each year and are great advocates of a healthy local environment, having helped coordinate many a beach clean in Sidmouth.
Sustainability plays a big part in the ethos of Mazzard Farm and the buildings themselves are heated by a biomass boiler and a significant amount of the electricity for the site is generated by solar PV panels.
If you are looking to book your next holiday then why not take a look at Mazzard Farm, a delightful countryside retreat in the heart of East Devon.
For more information, go to Mazzard Farm's website.
Send us your stories: Curious Devon is a new series of features highlighting interesting and special places from around the region and the people who live and work there. If you know of a place or a person you would like us to feature then get in touch and email: email@example.com