Cycle parking to be extended from seafront
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Planned cycle parking is set to be extended from Sidmouth’s seafront after concerns it will cause confusion.
Bike riding is banned from the Esplanade, so locals and tourists will be encouraged to park at the Arches, and at other new sites.
Town councillors are keen to make the most of the legacy of the Tour of Britain, but rejected plans for a covered area near the Tourist Information Centre (TIC).
Devon County Council has offered the cycle parking, and civic leaders have been trying to fine-tune the locations.
Discussions were deferred to last Monday’s meeting from August as members said they needed more information.
Councillor Chris Wale said the town is promoting cycling from a tourism point of view, and it would send a mixed message to extend cycle paths but not provide parking.
The proposed Esplanade stands have been moved inland, to the Arches on the western side and next to Alma Bridge in the east.
- 1 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 2 Chiefs' rebranding dignifies the club and city
- 3 The show must go on as theatre group takes to the stage
- 4 Ottery family lights up home in memory of mum
- 5 Designated drivers offered free drinks this Christmas
- 6 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 7 Dates for Santa's sleigh tour of Sidmouth, Sidford and Newton Poppleford
- 8 Anniversary gives chance for a look back on three years in the valley
- 9 Plans for quarry at Ottery St Mary REFUSED
- 10 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
Sites outside Lloyds Bank and the Radway Cinema were both agreed.