Cycling Sidmoutb siblings set out across country
- Credit: Archant
Cycling Sidmouth siblings are going the distance as they set out on a ride across the country for a wealth of worthy causes on Monday.
John Loveridge is fulfilling a lifelong ambition to scale the 1,000-mile route from John O’Groats to Lands End, while for his sister, Marion Johnson, it is a return journey.
The pair, both in their sixties, are fundraising for three South West charities that offer comfort to people in times of need, and another in Uganda that supports rural communities.
“They are both raring to go – they want to prove that you are never too old for a challenge,” said John’s sister Joy, who will be following them in a campervan.
Marion, a 65-year-old grandmother of 11, rode from Lands End to John O’Groats last May, and leapt at the chance to make hers a round trip.
She only began cycling in her late fifties, and has since become a familiar face through her daily rides around the Sid Valley.
That success inspired her 62-year-old brother, a grandfather of three, keen volunteer and recent retiree from East Devon District Council into action.
- 1 Plans for quarry at Ottery St Mary REFUSED
- 2 Council set to approve plans for a new quarry in Ottery St Mary
- 3 Yellow weather warning for ice and snow in Devon tonight
- 4 New look for interior of Sidmouth's Norman Lockyer Observatory
- 5 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 6 Shopping locally has never mattered so much as it does now
- 7 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 8 Sidmouth late night shopping is back after the pandemic
- 9 Ottery's big switch on lights up the town
- 10 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
The pair’s chosen charities are Sidmouth Victoria Hospital Comforts Fund – the hospital where they both were born – Devon Air Ambulance Trust, Children’s Hospice South West, and Rwenzori Development Foundation.
They hope to make a lucky stop-off outside the hospital at around 3pm on Friday, September 13.
To sponsor them, visit www.jamjogle.co.uk.