Cyclists in awe of Sidmouth police sports car
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth police arrived at the Tour of Britain in style as they showed off a £50,000 sports car.
The Lotus Evora – in full force livery – attracted turned heads and awed looks as Sergeant Andy Turner and his colleagues took the full streets as a chance to reach drivers.
It has been lent to the Devon and Cornwall Police for free by the manufacturer, but is not used in operations or high speed chases.
“We have taken the car to a few events now and the response has been overwhelming,” said Sgt Owen Messenger, who borrowed the car from Lotus.
“People literally flock to it. It’s a stunning looking car and with the police badges it’s very unusual.”
You may also want to watch:
The initiative was launched to aid interaction with younger drivers and discuss road safety with those who might not otherwise engage with the police.
A police motorcade also led the riders as they set off on their race to Haytor on Dartmoor.
- 1 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 2 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 3 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 4 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
- 5 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 6 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 7 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 8 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Read all about it! Toto pays a visit to the bookshop