Cyclists in awe of Sidmouth police sports car
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth police arrived at the Tour of Britain in style as they showed off a £50,000 sports car.
The Lotus Evora – in full force livery – attracted turned heads and awed looks as Sergeant Andy Turner and his colleagues took the full streets as a chance to reach drivers.
It has been lent to the Devon and Cornwall Police for free by the manufacturer, but is not used in operations or high speed chases.
“We have taken the car to a few events now and the response has been overwhelming,” said Sgt Owen Messenger, who borrowed the car from Lotus.
“People literally flock to it. It’s a stunning looking car and with the police badges it’s very unusual.”
You may also want to watch:
The initiative was launched to aid interaction with younger drivers and discuss road safety with those who might not otherwise engage with the police.
A police motorcade also led the riders as they set off on their race to Haytor on Dartmoor.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 5 The more we work together the better it will be
- 6 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 10 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary