Dark night help for Sidmouth and Ottery pensioners
A CHARITY for the elderly has offered its support to residents in Sidmouth and Ottery areas who could become ‘cut off’ when the clocks go back next weekend.
Age UK Devon has reminded those who feel they need additional peace of mind as darker nights draw in that a personal alarm system can help them to feel safer and retain their independence.
The cause says alarms provide reassurance to more than 40,000 people in the UK every year, and the 24-hour emergency response system can be installed at homes, where possible, within 48 hours of an initial enquiry.
“One touch of the button of an Age UK personal alarm connects to a dedicated response centre, which is staffed by professionally trained operators 24 hours a day, every day of the year,” said a charity spokesperson.
“The operator can then contact the chosen key holder - a friend, neighbour or relative - who will visit and offer assistance. If there is no contact available, the emergency services will be contacted.”
You may also want to watch:
The lightweight, waterproof alarm can be worn around the neck or on the wrist.
Contact Age UK Devon on 0845 2967810 to find out more.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 3 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 4 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 7 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 8 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show