Day of emotions for retiring clerk
EMOTIONS were running high for Beer s Parish Council clerk last Tuesday- as she retired from her post and her first grandson was born. Hilary Cozens found out early in the morning that her daughter, Jacky and her husband, Simon, had a healthy 6lbs 11oz bo
EMOTIONS were running high for Beer's Parish Council clerk last Tuesday- as she retired from her post and her first grandson was born.
Hilary Cozens found out early in the morning that her daughter, Jacky and her husband, Simon, had a healthy 6lbs 11oz boy, who they have called Luke.
Hilary and her husband, Eric, rushed to Buckinghamshire to see their first grandson, before returning for the council meeting, where an emotional goodbye was said by the councillors.
She said: "It was a very emotional day for me. I spent all day on the road and only got to the meeting minutes before it started."
You may also want to watch:
Hilary, who has been the council's clerk for 11 years, handed over the reigns to Karen Chipperfield at the annual and parish council meeting.
Chairman John Wells thanked Hilary for devoting her time to the job and said she would be missed.
- 1 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 2 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 3 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 4 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 5 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 6 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 7 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 8 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 9 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 10 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary
The councillors then presented her with cut glass whisky tumblers as a leaving present.
Hilary added: "I was very touched by the chairman's remarks. The councillors took me out for a lovely meal the following night.