DCC cuts loom on ‘budget day’
BUS service used by schoolchildren in Sidmouth poised for the axe in a round of Devon County Council (DC) cuts.
A BUS service used by schoolchildren in Sidmouth is poised for the axe in a round of Devon County Council (DCC) cuts today (Thursday, February 17) .
Budgets for a string of services also face being slashed as authority chiefs are set to discuss making �54.6million of savings over the next financial year.
A proposed budget is set to go before DCC’s full council this afternoon.
Leader John Hart has warned: “These spending cuts are going to hurt.”
The 70SCH, which runs from Sidbury to Sidmouth’s All Saints Infants and St Nicholas Junior schools, looks set for the chop.
The X53 Sunday service, which runs between Beer, Sidford, Newton Poppleford and Exeter, is also set to be withdrawn.
- 1 Farmers' naked calendar is a smash hit for charity
- 2 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 3 Trio gear up for 'banger' car rally in aid of Motor Neurone Disease charity
- 4 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 5 Fire service appoints former police sergeant as ambassador for road safety initiative
- 6 Ottery's Animal Rescue Centre holds anniversary fundraising event
- 7 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 8 Waves of enthusiasm for Sidmouth Sea Fest
- 9 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
- 10 Sidbury gas pipe upgrade completed
DCC has promised no other specific reductions are proposed in Sidmouth.
Councillor Stuart Hughes said the authority had “no choice” because of a reduction in government funding and it taking responsibility for concessionary bus passes in April.
The council also vowed its direct grant to schools will be increased and no libraries will shut.
In the 2011/12 financial year DCC will lose 12.1per cent, �26million, of Government support.
Overall spending cuts are greater because of additional spending costs incurred by an ageing population and increased landfill prices, said DCC.