Debut concert for new Sidmouth church organ
Sidmouth curate’s stepson to ‘christen’ digital organ at All Saint’s Church
LOVERS of organ music are in for a special treat in Sidmouth next week.
A new, imported digital organ, bought to replace the 150-year-old organ at the newly re-ordered All Saints Church, will be played in public for the first time, by organist George Parsons, at a free lunchtime concert on Thursday, February 24 at 12.30pm.
Sid Vale Association’s Keith Owen Fund has contributed around two-thirds of the cost as the organ, from world-renowned Allen Organs, will be available for local choral and musical concerts as well as church services.
The fund contributed �10,000 to its overall cost of �15,200.
You may also want to watch:
The organ has a 32-note concave radiating pedal-board, two manuals and pedals with 33 speaking stops.
It can accurately reproduce the tone and volume of the 32 and 16 foot pipes of a traditional pipe organ.
- 1 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 2 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 3 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 4 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 5 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 6 Can YOU help successful Sidmouth Running Club Juniors grow?
- 7 Euro 2020 sweepstake winnings donated to support cancer charity
- 8 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 9 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 10 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
George, stepson of All Saints’ curate, the Reverend Dave Brown, began learning to play the organ as a chorister in King’s College, Cambridge, and his musical education continued through Oundle School, Wells Cathedral School and the Conservatorium of Amsterdam, leading to Queen’s College, Oxford, where he read for a degree in Music while holding the post of Organ Scholar.
He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Organists, and a PhD student at Sheffield University.
His programme will favourites such as Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor, Nimrod by Edward Elgar and Widor’s Toccata.
While the concert is free, there will be a retiring collection towards completing the organ purchase.