Deckchairs return to Sidmouth seafront
- Credit: Archant
The iconic sight of deckchairs lining the seafront has returned to Sidmouth after a new concession holder came forward.
Adam Davis hopes his local knowledge and passion for the area will ensure the reclining seats remain an important part of the visitor experience.
East Devon District Council (EDDC) had interest from a number of parties after the concession was surrendered by the previous operator.
Weather permitting, the deckchairs will be in place along the Esplanade and in Connaught Gardens for the remainder of the 2017 summer, as well as the 2018 and 2019 seasons.
Councillor Philip Skinner, EDDC’s portfolio holder for economy, said: “The deckchairs have been a feature on the seafront and in Connaught Gardens for many years and are a part of the Sidmouth experience for many visitors.
You may also want to watch:
“I am pleased that we have been able to secure a new operator and hope this three-season agreement will secure their continued presence.”
Sidmouth’s Councillor Cathy Gardner, who flagged up the deckchairs’ absence from the seafront, added: “I am delighted to see the deckchairs back on the Esplanade after a small gap at the start of the season.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 5 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 8 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
“I hope business is brisk and the concession can be maintained.”
The season runs from April 1 to September 30.