Which East Devon beaches rated ‘excellent’ in bathing water inspections?
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth is un-beach-able when it comes to clean water after being rated ‘excellent’ once again by inspectors.
All six of East Devon District Council’s beaches received the highest classification following stringent tests from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).
Sidmouth town, Jacob’s Ladder, Seaton, Beer, Budleigh Salterton and Exmouth were received ‘excellent’ while privately managed Sandy Bay and Ladram Bay were rated ‘excellent’ and ‘sufficient’.
Water quality is tested weekly throughout the summer by the Environment Agency and the results are considered alongside those from the previous three years.
Councillor Tom Wright, EDDC’s environment portfolio holder, who said: “This is a fantastic result for East Devon and the reward for several years of good joint working with our partners and local landowners.
You may also want to watch:
“Our beaches are a crown jewel for East Devon and we are proud that the bathing water meets the very highest standards which will provide water users with opportunities for enjoying our sea safely.”
The top classification is a goal that the council has aimed for and strived to maintain. This is a result of a combined effort between the council, the Environment Agency, South West Water and local farmers and land owners. Everyone has worked together to reduce the potential for dirty water to enter East Devon’s rivers and streams, and to inform and educate the public.”
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 7 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 8 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 9 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman