Delay to plan for 115 homes, gym and restaurant at Knowle, Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
A planning application for a 115-home retirement community at Knowle has been held up after council bosses asked the developer for extra information.
PegasusLife formally submitted its proposals for the 4.6-acre site on April 1, but, some three weeks later, residents have not had the chance to see them.
This is because East Devon District Council (EDDC) is yet to ‘validate’ the application. Once validated, the plans will be made public.
An EDDC spokeswoman said: “We have received an application from Pegasus, but we will require some additional information before we can validate it. Once we have everything that we need, the application will be advertised, posted on our website and the community consulted in the usual way.”
The developer said ‘major changes’ had been made to its original vision ahead of the plans being submitted. Under the plans, the site’s 19th century former hotel and 1970s offices will be demolished to make way for dwellings for over-60s. The Caretaker’s Cottage will remain. Much of the parkland will remain in public ownership. A restaurant and gym facilities also feature in proposals.
You may also want to watch:
A PegasusLife spokeswoman said: “EDDC requested clarification on some of the drawings submitted as part of the application. This information is being provided to the council and we await the application being validated.”
The sale of Knowle for between £7million and £8million is key to EDDC’s plans to relocate from Sidmouth to Exmouth and Honiton.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 9 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
Its development management committee will decide the fate of the plans.