Designs for Newton Poppleford school rebuild a ‘carbuncle’ on AONB
- Credit: Archant
Cash to rebuild Newton Poppleford Primary School does not extend far enough to improve road safety, the headteacher has revealed.
School Lane has been the scene of accidents and near-misses, but there is no provision in the plans for extra parking or a lay-by to drop off pupils.
Headteacher Stuart Vaughan said the issue was ‘extremely important’, but the Education Funding Agency backing would only fund construction of the new premises.
The designs put forward were slammed by residents at Monday’s parish council meeting as a ‘carbuncle’ in the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, especially compared to the existing Victorian school building.
The plans failed to win the support of parish councillors, although they recognised the need to rebuild the school.
You may also want to watch:
East Devon District Council will decide the fate of the plans.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 5 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight