Detectives probe Sidmouth blaze

PUBLISHED: 10:36 17 January 2011

INFERNO: Fortfield Hotel on fire

INFERNO: Fortfield Hotel on fire

Archant

A CRIMINAL investigation is underway into the inferno that ripped through Sidmouth’s derelict Fortfield Hotel last month.

A CRIMINAL investigation is underway into the inferno that ripped through Sidmouth’s derelict Fortfield Hotel last month.

Detectives and police officers are hunting the culprit who caused chaos when flames erupted on December 30.

The blaze was this week labelled “a fire of doubtful origin” as Honiton CID members worked with Sidmouth officers on a probe to land the offender.

Fire experts scoured the scene and have come up with possible causes, Police Sergeant Andy Turner told the Herald.

PS Turner said those possible causes could not yet be revealed as they formed a crucial part of an ongoing investigation.

He said several people have already been eliminated from police enquiries.

“We’re still very keen to speak to anybody who saw people in the area and around the building during the day. We have already had a lot of people come forward. They do not need to contact us again if we have already spoken to them,” he said.

“I’m unable to comment on the fire officer’s report as it forms part of our investigation.”

Contact police with information on 08452 777444, crime reference: KS/11/16.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald