Devon affordable homes probe
A SCHEME to encourage affordable housing in Devon wants to involve communities in a bid to provide much-needed homes quickly.
The initiative is part-funded by Devon County Council (DCC), to the tune of �50,000, and advises on setting up Community Land Trusts (CLTs).
CLTs buy or are sometimes given sites by landowners who want to ensure a site benefits the community.
Homes are then built on the land and made available at affordable prices to local people.
DCC’s cabinet member for economy, Councillor Will Mumford, said: “CLTs are an ideal vehicle to create affordable homes in Devon at a time when people are struggling financially, still facing the challenge of the very high cost of housing and excessive demand for our existing housing stock.
You may also want to watch:
“We have taken best practice and shared this to enable communities to move much more quickly to a local solution. This is all about local solutions to address local need and I would urge communities to take advantage of this fantastic programme.”
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 4 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 5 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 6 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 7 'More visible' speed limit signs to be installed on A375 Sidbury Hill
- 8 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 9 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 10 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching