Devon affordable homes probe
A SCHEME to encourage affordable housing in Devon wants to involve communities in a bid to provide much-needed homes quickly.
The initiative is part-funded by Devon County Council (DCC), to the tune of �50,000, and advises on setting up Community Land Trusts (CLTs).
CLTs buy or are sometimes given sites by landowners who want to ensure a site benefits the community.
Homes are then built on the land and made available at affordable prices to local people.
DCC’s cabinet member for economy, Councillor Will Mumford, said: “CLTs are an ideal vehicle to create affordable homes in Devon at a time when people are struggling financially, still facing the challenge of the very high cost of housing and excessive demand for our existing housing stock.
You may also want to watch:
“We have taken best practice and shared this to enable communities to move much more quickly to a local solution. This is all about local solutions to address local need and I would urge communities to take advantage of this fantastic programme.”
- 1 Summer play season returns safe and sound after 'challenging year'
- 2 Tragedy strikes the racing world
- 3 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 4 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 5 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 6 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 7 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 8 Family triumph in Sidmouth golf team stableford
- 9 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 10 School's hill climb challenge