Devon backs Summer of Cycling launch
More cycle routes being developed across county says Sidmouth county councillor
DEVON is backing the national Summer of Cycling celebration, launched at the House of Commons last week.
Championed by the All Party Parliamentary Cycling Group in association with the Bicycle Association of Great Britain, the campaign aims to get more people cycling than ever before.
Cycle routes are being developed across the county, with work continuing to complete the Exe Estuary Trail, which stretches from Exeter to Exmouth, that already attracts over 100,000 people a year.
The Tour of Britain will return to the county again in September, following last year’s successful stage from Exeter to Exmouth, which attracted more than 125,000 spectators to Devon and generated an additional �3.1 million for the local economy.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth based Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council’s cabinet member for highways and transportation, said: “Devon is proud to be supporting this campaign and it’s a great opportunity to celebrate the extensive work we have been doing in our county to encourage more people to cycle.
“There’s never been a better time to take up cycling or to get back on your bike.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 6 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
“This campaign highlights what we can all do locally if we encourage friends and family to cycle.”
The Summer of Cycling campaign is open to all organisations, businesses, and clubs as well as individuals. Details at www.summerofcycling.net.
For details of cycling activities in Devon visit www.cycledevon.info.