Devon document donor card initiative
SPECIAL Devon Document donor cards, the first initiative of its kind in the UK, is being launched at Exeter Guildhall at llam on Saturday, September 26, by the Friends of Devon s Archives.
SPECIAL Devon Document donor cards, the first initiative of its kind in the UK, is being launched at Exeter Guildhall at llam on Saturday, September 26, by the Friends of Devon's Archives.
They are aimed at stopping the loss of the county's historic written heritage.
This small charity is attempting to end the needless destruction of valuable documents during house clearances when heirs and executors do not have sufficient time to read through the great accumulation of papers and many important items are unknowingly discarded.
Often younger family members don't appreciate the historic value of material but regret it when they become older and interested in their family's history.
The donor card will alert others that owners want material (whether letters, old recipe books, manuscript maps, diaries, etc.) kept for posterity and left in the custody of the Devon Record Office in Exeter.
Papers belonging to ordinary people are as important to save as those of the great families whose papers have generally been secured for the future.
- 1 Despite the recent heatwave, Devon County Council is on course to beat climate change targets
- 2 Opening a new shop presents a risk, but rewards are there if you work hard
- 3 Feezing license fee is sensible, but I didn't stand for dismantling BBC
- 4 Man in court accused of torching Ottery woman's car
- 5 Delays on Sidmouth road for Devon County Show
- 6 Preparations begin in earnest for Folk Festival
- 7 With your help, a range of new laws will help us all
- 8 Play abour real life leaves audience filled with feel good laughter
- 9 By-election result proves East Devon is not as 'true blue' as people thought
- 10 Heather Spratt - the unsung hero of the heathland
On Saturday archivists will be on hand to talk to members of the public about their documents and even accept them for deposit in the county archives.
There will be an exhibition of Devon documents already given to the record office and an opportunity to meet members of supporting societies (the Devon History Society, the Devonshire Association, the Devon Family History Society and the Exeter Local History Society).