Devon document donor card initiative
SPECIAL Devon Document donor cards, the first initiative of its kind in the UK, is being launched at Exeter Guildhall at llam on Saturday, September 26, by the Friends of Devon s Archives.
SPECIAL Devon Document donor cards, the first initiative of its kind in the UK, is being launched at Exeter Guildhall at llam on Saturday, September 26, by the Friends of Devon's Archives.
They are aimed at stopping the loss of the county's historic written heritage.
This small charity is attempting to end the needless destruction of valuable documents during house clearances when heirs and executors do not have sufficient time to read through the great accumulation of papers and many important items are unknowingly discarded.
Often younger family members don't appreciate the historic value of material but regret it when they become older and interested in their family's history.
The donor card will alert others that owners want material (whether letters, old recipe books, manuscript maps, diaries, etc.) kept for posterity and left in the custody of the Devon Record Office in Exeter.
Papers belonging to ordinary people are as important to save as those of the great families whose papers have generally been secured for the future.
- 1 Council set to approve plans for a new quarry in Ottery St Mary
- 2 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 3 New look for interior of Sidmouth's Norman Lockyer Observatory
- 4 Shopping locally has never mattered so much as it does now
- 5 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 6 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 7 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 8 Yellow weather warning for ice and snow in Devon tonight
- 9 Sidmouth late night shopping is back after the pandemic
- 10 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
On Saturday archivists will be on hand to talk to members of the public about their documents and even accept them for deposit in the county archives.
There will be an exhibition of Devon documents already given to the record office and an opportunity to meet members of supporting societies (the Devon History Society, the Devonshire Association, the Devon Family History Society and the Exeter Local History Society).