Devon sees rise in monoxide poisoning

Archant

More people have been involved in carbon monoxide poisoning in Devon than anywhere else in the last year.

A report by the Gas Safety Trust shows the number of people killed by the gas more than trebled in the 12 months to July.

Two of the 25 deaths were in Devon, whereas there were only seven deaths in the whole country in the previous 12 months

But the number of people affected by colourless and odourless gas fell from 145 to 80, reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen.

Blocked chimneys and faulty central heating systems and gas appliances can cause poisoning.

In the regional breakdown Devon was the top hot spot with five incidents, resulting in two fatalities.

More than half of incidents took place in winter months but camping equipment did also result in cases of poisoning during the summer.

The Gas Safety Trust said further awareness activity was needed to increase the proportion of households with a CO alarm.

Of all the CO incidents recorded, none involving an alarm resulted in a fatality or serious injury.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald