Devon sees rise in monoxide poisoning
More people have been involved in carbon monoxide poisoning in Devon than anywhere else in the last year.
A report by the Gas Safety Trust shows the number of people killed by the gas more than trebled in the 12 months to July.
Two of the 25 deaths were in Devon, whereas there were only seven deaths in the whole country in the previous 12 months
But the number of people affected by colourless and odourless gas fell from 145 to 80, reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen.
Blocked chimneys and faulty central heating systems and gas appliances can cause poisoning.
You may also want to watch:
In the regional breakdown Devon was the top hot spot with five incidents, resulting in two fatalities.
More than half of incidents took place in winter months but camping equipment did also result in cases of poisoning during the summer.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 5 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 6 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
The Gas Safety Trust said further awareness activity was needed to increase the proportion of households with a CO alarm.
Of all the CO incidents recorded, none involving an alarm resulted in a fatality or serious injury.