Devon supports Breathing Places campaign
PUBLISHED: 11:53 05 June 2009 | UPDATED: 09:19 18 June 2010
DEVON County Council is encouraging people across Devon to take part in the BBC s Breathing Places campaign as part of its commitment to making Devon greener.
DEVON County Council is encouraging people across Devon to take part in the BBC's Breathing Places campaign as part of its commitment to making Devon greener.
By supporting the campaign the County Council is encouraging everyone to get outside to learn more about wildlife, discover new places and do one thing for nature. A series of events are being held throughout the year to help people get involved and discover Devon's wildlife.
This weekend (6 and 7 June) breathing places focuses on Springwatch. Events include;
* A Bee Awareness Day at Fremington Quay, North Devon, on Saturday (6 June) from 11am to 4pm.
* A wildflower weekend will be held at Goren Farm in the Blackdown Hills on Saturday (6 June) and Sunday (7 June) from 10:30am to 6pm. For more information call Julian Pady on 01404 881335 or www.goren.co.uk.
* The RSPB is encouraging everyone to take part in a summer wildlife survey all next week in their own back garden (8 - 14 June). For more information visit www.rspb.org.uk/naturecount.
* The Devon Wildlife Trust Festival will be held on Cathedral Green in Exeter from 10am to 4pm on 20 June. For more information visit www.devonwildlifetrust.org
* There will be a dragonfly and butterfly walk at Stover Country Park from 12 noon to 2pm on 27 June. For more information visit www.devon.gov.uk/stover_country_park.htm
Devon County Council's Breathing Places programme has a wildlife theme for each month. In July it is family fun, with a fun day at the Grand Western Canal in Tiverton on 30 July and family bushcraft and shelter building at Stover Country Park near Newton Abbot on 27 July. Estuaries and the sea provide the topic for August, conservation of wildlife and geology in September, wildlife arts and crafts in October, County Wildlife Sites in November and community wildlife action in December.
For more information and events visit www.devon.gov.uk/breathingplaces or www.bbc.co.uk/breathingplaces
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.