Devon trail riders hope donation will be start of lasting legacy for much-loved biker Olly
- Credit: Archant
Group presented Sidmouth’s Marie Curie shop with cheque for £2,411
Members of Devon Trail Riders Fellowship (DTRF) have raised £2,411 for Marie Curie in honour of a much-loved friend and biker.
The group, with others from around the country, took to their motor cycles for a two-day annual fundraising event, near Woodbury, held this year in memory of Olly Cooke - a founding branch member who lost his battle with cancer just before Christmas.
Described as a much respected, generous man and talented rider, Olly lived in Exmouth and worked as a builder in Sidmouth before he was taken ill.
Members who took part in the trail riding event hope their donation presented to the Marie Curie shop in Fore Street, Sidmouth, will be the start of a lasting legacy in Olly’s memory and help show their appreciation of the ‘great work done by all at the charity’.
You may also want to watch:
Friend and DTRF member Chris Cole, of Southerton, Newton Poppleford, said: “Olly was a very generous man and he was always first to come forward to help others, so I think he would be pleased to see others following in his footsteps.
“He was held in such high regard, we dedicated this year’s fundraising to Marie Curie. The charity helped Olly and his family so much when they really needed it and we are all grateful for it.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 7 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 8 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Mighty Greens conquer Plym Trail marathon
“Olly spent a lot of time and effort maintaining rights of way for all users. He was so well respected and a great rider.”
More than 50 trail riders turned out to brave the weather for Olly’s funeral in December to show their respect for a much-loved friend. DTRF member Jacki Cole has been inspired by Olly to start volunteering for Marie Curie in Sidmouth.